Recently, the National Stone, Sand & Gravel Association (NSSGA) announced the recipients of the 2018 Safety Excellence and Sterling Safety Awards. The winners were chosen for the extraordinary commitment to safety within their aggregates operations.
The Safety Excellence and Sterling Safety Awards were created to promote safe working conditions and practices and to recognize individual operations each year for their superb safety records. The winning aggregates operations are chosen for their commitment to safety, safe environmental practices, and efforts and activities that continue to enhance the image of the industry. There are two award groups given – the Safety Excellence Gold Awards and the Sterling Safety Gold Awards.
The Safety Excellence Gold Awards winners were chosen for the extraordinary commitment to safety within their aggregates operations. The winners are:
- Small Category — Helotes Quarry; Martin Marietta; San Antonio, Texas.
- Medium Category — Benson Quarry; Martin Marietta; Greensboro, N.C.
- Large Category — Corona Stone; Vulcan Materials Co.; Glendale, Calif.
The Sterling Safety Gold Awards recognize individual operations that have gone the longest period of time without a reportable injury in their size category. The winners for this year are:
- Small Category — DeSiato Sand & Gravel Corp.; Mansfield, Conn.
- Medium Category — Martin Stone Quarries, Inc.; Bechtelsville, Pa.
- Large Category — Vulcan Materials Co., Birmingham, Ala.
Injury rates have been dropping for the past 16 years with a record low of 1.95 injuries per 200,000 hours, per NSSGA. Making sure that employees go home each night safely is a top priority for member companies. Says NSSGA president and CEO Michael W. Johnson, “As a result of that commitment, according to statistics, it now is safer to work in a quarry than in a retail store.”
We applaud the winners for 2018. Thank you for your commitment to safely building the foundations that make our world amazing!